As with anything new there’s a bit of practice involved and you need the right knife to do the job properly. Here’s what you need and how to go about trying it yourself:
• Make sure you have a sharp knife, preferably flat bladed and thin.
• Ensure you have plenty of space and are in a safe working environment.
• Place the side of salmon, skin down on a chopping board.
• Place the knife a quarter of the way up the length of the side from the tail end keeping the knife almost flat to the fish to ensure a very shallow angle of slicing.
• Slice into the salmon with slow, long slices towards the tail end of the fish.
o Most people prefer thin slices of smoked salmon, however you can slice to your own taste. If you want thin slices, then a good indicator of achieving this is if you can see the knife through the salmon while slicing it.
We love this process and believe that if you can master the art then there are many benefits in flavour, texture and downright theatre.
We hope that we have inspired you to give slicing a try, and to further entice you we are offering 20% off the cost of this gorgeous Scottish speciality for a limited time.